Friday, December 16, 2011

Mistletoe and a Small Act of Kindness


The last few weeks have been crazy. I've been focused on getting the store ready for Christmas. And any of you in the floral industry know how hectic that can be. Daily orders, flowers ordered and processed, photoshoots, weddings, bridal appointments, Christmas decoration appointments, Christmas decoration preparation, Christmas installations, proposals, more flowers processed.... whew. And that's just to scratch the surface.

Tonight, after the store closed and everybody left for the day, I was in my office feverishly working on finishing a very special bridal proposal.. when suddenly... the front door bells jingled alerting me that some one had just walked in... I grumbled to myself and internally was kicking myself because I had forgot to lock the front door!!!!

I left my office and went to the front to greet the person who strolled in after hours. It was a young girl, probably in her early 20's looking for mistletoe. She explained that her boyfriend was flying in tonight, all the way from Africa. It had been quite some time since she had seen him. She wanted to take mistletoe to hang over his head for their first kiss.

Needless to say... my heart melted. I stopped everything, including my bad attitude and began making phone calls. Calls to my mother, my sister, Walmart, Tractor Supply, New Braunfels Feed, Hobby Lobby.. the calls went on and on and on... 20 plus calls. I finally found her mistletoe.... She cried and I cried.

A simple act of making phone calls made this young girl's dream come true. Her boyfriend's homecoming from Africa is going to be perfect. I had touched somebody's life. I realize that this small act of kindness isn't really a big deal in the scheme of all things worldly. But it made me realize that even the smallest efforts can make someone else's life better while at the same time put the insanity of every day life back into perspective.. A lesson well learned this Holiday Season.

No comments:

Post a Comment